C17 Developmental Therapeutics Committee
Under the leadership of Co-chairs James Whitlock and Jason Berman, the C17 DVL Committee provides greater access across Canada to Phase I/II trials; allowing children and their families an option for investigational treatments while staying closer to home. There are now eleven C17 centres participating, providing access across Canada for children eligible for these studies.
The C17 DVL Committee, in partnership with CCTG, opened the first study in September 2010. Several DVL studies have now been funded by C17 and are either in development, in discussion with pharmaceutical companies, or are identified as potential studies for pediatric oncology based on early adult work.
C17 DVL Pre-Clinical Studies
The goal is not to wait until pharmaceutical companies want to start clinical trials, as a result of adult data or business decisions, but to actively identify the drugs that have potential efficacy, and develop the capacity to study them in clinical trials. The C17 DVL Committee is in the process of bridging the gap from bench to bedside with the development of a preclinical program, linking researchers across the country to work together to bring evidence from the lab into clinical studies.
C17 funded grant competitions for DVL pre-clinical research are described on the Research Network Committee page. With funding from C17, the goal is to quickly identify candidate drugs, the cancer types that might respond, and develop a Phase I clinical trial that can be conducted in our eleven DVL centres.
DVL Phase I/II sites
- Alberta Children's Hospital (Calgary)
- BC Children's Hospital (Vancouver)
- CancerCare Manitoba (Winnipeg)
- Children's Hospital (London)
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (Ottawa)
- CHU Sainte Justine (Montreal)
- Hospital for Sick Children (Toronto)
- IWK Health Centre(Halifax)
- Janeway Child health Centre (St. John's)
- McMaster Children's Hospital (Hamilton)
- Stollery Children’s Hospital (Edmonton)